Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Homeschool Hop - State Requirements






At the moment we are unregistered homeschoolers, we are not required to register until Evie is 6 so we have a few more months yet (thank goodness).
I find the whole approval process very daunting. Although having read some of the posts in the Hop already I feel much better about it all and I am now grateful for how relaxed our system is.

In South Australia, homeschoolers are required to fill out a form detailing curriculum in each area of learning (maths, science, English, social studies etc). This is adaptable to various learning styles from natural learning to a more 'school at home' style.
Following this a representative visits the home to interview the family.


As I understand it people are then given approval (or not) for 6-18 month period before having another interview.
My knowledge of the process is fairly vague and abstract having not actually gone through all the hoops yet.
It is my dream to live in Victoria where there is no approval process at all. One simply signs a form stating that you intend to homeschool and you promise to cover all the learning areas. Then you can simply get on with the job with out having to prove yourself or submit to interviews and judgment. Now that is a system I could love.












Photos are from a holiday along the River Murray where we visited one of the first prisons in Australia. The last picture is taken from my parents-in -laws back yard, fronting right onto the river, it's just beautiful.




MckLinky Blog Hop

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure it won't be too awful when you have to register, but I couldn't agree more, the rest of Aus should follow Victoria's lead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering that you have a blog - I'd say you are on top of things, organized and thoughtful in your approach to your children's education. The hoops you'll have to jump through are likely more time consuming than challenging.

    It's been great getting to know other homeschool families through the Blog Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others, I feel things will go quite well for you. This has been fun learning how other States and Countries work with homeschoolers.

    Love the pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are beautiful, especially the photo of the river. Wow!
    Thank you for sharing, I hope that there is no hassle for you when registering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love how you added pics:) I'm a late follower from Tuesday, and just wanted to stop by to say hello.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also a bit unnerved when thinking of registering, our system is so new here in SA. Will cross that bridge when we get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've contemplated homeschooling, but haven't decided yet. Our daughter isn't quite school age, so we've got some time. Thanks for adding my button to your blog!

    ReplyDelete