Thursday, March 11, 2010

Homeschool Blog hop Theme: What's Your Style?




Our homeschooing style has been evolving since our children were babies. We have always tried to give the girls a lot of positive stimulation and really encourage them to learn as much as possible.
I attempted for a brief time, to introduce some work books, but this effort bombed out, big time. The first day was great, Evie was really into it and fascinated by everything. The second day she wanted it over asap so she could go and play. The third day I caught myself attempting to bribe and threaten her into doing her 'school work'.
When I realised what I was doing I had to take a step back and really question what I was doing. On the third day of 'school' I was already getting stressed about it, pressuring Evie to do the work. Both of us were frustrated at the others behaviour.
This had to stop. I put the books on the shelf thinking that we may get them down later when she's 'ready'. The books have never come off the shelf again.
I have gone back to the way we started out learning from the day they were born. The girls do whatever interests them, I gently lead them, answer questions, supply information and materials and generally let them soak up information with out me trying to drive it into them. That is what works for us.



MckLinky Blog Hop

7 comments:

  1. Nice plan. So, are you always going to be childled learning, or will you eventually start doing a curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun homeschooling!! Which ever way works best for your family...my kids are a little older and coming from public school...so we are basically school-at-home, but I do want to change it up a bit next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky it only lasted 3 days - I tortured myself & Billy with trying to do "school at home" for a few months before I woke up to myself. Its great for some - not for us though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'm with Kez and we even still do a small amount of school at home. Good on you for allowing your children that freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I really enjoyed reading your style and I think you are doing a great job enriching their learning! I did the same when we first started "school" at home, I quickly had to take a step back and realize that I was trying to do exactly what had failed him in Public school! I am a lot more relaxed now and I think it's the best way to go, we still do a bit of "school" at home but I love your style and have always been interested in it. Thank you for sharing and thank you for commenting on my post. I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good that you tried the books those 3 days, at least now you know for sure that you are doing exactly what is best for your kids! Did they learn to read this way too? I am always interested in how to incorporate reading and unschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our Country Road- The girls are 5 and 3 years old so we are right in the middle of the learning to read period.
    Evie who is 5 is beginning to read, she can sound out three letter words, and recognise other sight words the she sees a lot (like stop, go, exit, fire, zoo, ). I think the most important thing is that she *wants* to read. So she is trying really hard to make sense of it all.
    Georgia who is 3 can count to 20 and say the alphabet but doesn't recognise the symbols yet. I will try getting her to play some games with her and give her some activities to help her learn that. She has not been interested up to this point but has suddenly discovered a love of drawing so thing may be changing there.

    ReplyDelete