Tuesday, October 27, 2009

MTM - (not the theme) Mini Pancakes

This weeks theme for MTM over at Her Cup Overfloweth is Fall / Halloween... it's a pretty warm Spring time here in Aus though so we kind of free styled the theme this week.
We had mini pancakes for breakfast, each with a different topping ; honey, golden syrup, strawberry jam and butter.

Pancakes are a breakfast favourite for my kids, so I try to make them as healthy as possible. I use my own recipe to make them as nutritious as I can as well as low in fat and sugar ('cause I eat them too and I love my jeans).


Healthy Pancakes

2cups Plain flour (half wholemeal opt.)
1tbs Baking powder
1tsp Baking soda
1 egg
80g silken tufu
2 1/2 cups milk (juice or yogurt can be used)
1tbs vanilla

Stir together dry ingredients in large bowl
In a separate bowl whisk together tofu, egg and milk. whisk until there are no lumps of tofu left.
Add wet ingredients to dry whisk together, let mixture rest for 20min or so.
Cook in frying pan till brown on both sides.

I use tofu as a butter replacement, there is no taste to it, and you don't lose the tenderness of the pancake. I usually use at least half wholemeal flour too for a fibre boost, and sometimes I sub in some natural oat bran. You may need extra liquid or less flour if using wholemeal or oat bran to get the thickness you like.

You can make them even more healthy by using low/non fat yogurt or juice instead of milk, you can add fruit like bananas, grated apple or rasberries. You can add nuts or spices. The options are endless, I can never get bored of pancakes.

Get on over to Her Cup Overfloweth to check other MTMs for this week

No comments:

Post a Comment