Saturday, September 26, 2009

Refashion - T-shirt into childs shorts

While I was cleaning out my wardrobe in an effort to get it all ready for warmer weather I hit on a great idea to make some shorts for the girls out of old t-shirts..

I have turned out a few pairs now and I love how simple it is. 15 minutes from shirt to shorts.
I thought I'd make a little tutorial because I haven't seen a tutorial for kids shorts yet and it's just too fun and easy not to share it.
This is my first tutorial of any kind so please let me know if I am not explaining something well enough or if I need more pictures. Any feed back is very welcome and I'd love to see the finished product if you give it a go.
You will need
  • Elastic measured to fit child's waist

  • T-shirt

  • Coordinating thread

I added a length or rickrack to the bottom edge before I began, just for fun and 'cause I can.


1. Starting from the bottom of the tshirt measure up your desired length plus 3cm for the elastic casing.

2. Fold in half so t-shirt seams are together, cut a half-U-shape from the folded edge. You can use existing clothing for a template or just eye-ball it – I used a hands length (tips to wrist) and about three fingers wide.
Open the shirt out flat again and you’ll have a wide U-shape, this is the crotch seam.
3. Turn fabric right sides together and sew around the U-shape



4. Cut the side seams of the shirt.


5. With the shorts laying flat take the top right side and turn it to the left and take the bottom left side and turn it to the right side of the shorts. You should now have two 'legs' looking like this.
Basically the front panel of the shirt becomes the left leg and the back section becomes the right leg.

6. With right sides together sew the side seams, make sure the bottom edges are level.


7. Next is the casing. Fold the waist edge over by 5mm and then 25mm, sew around the waist leaving a gap at the back to pull the elastic through.


8. Last step is to pull your elastic through the gusset and sew the ends together using a zigzag stitch.


There. Your shorts are finished!


I hope your children like them as much as mine do. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great idea! I'll have to try that! DH has lots of shirts that he can spare :)

    ReplyDelete